The Victoria Falls International Airport (VFA) in Zimbabwe’s tourism capital may not be your gigantic airport in terms of passenger capacity and assorted ancillary facility services, but it delivers you a world class and efficient service that will awe you.
From the very warm welcome by the immigration staff at passport control to the quick unloading of bags on the carousels is just many of the attributes that the VFA presents you upon arrival.
Clean, airy with plenty of natural light without the hustle and bustle offers great experience than many bigger international airports.
Massive stone constructed waterfall is meant to remind you of the iconic Victoria Falls
The Victoria Falls International Airport was commissioned in November 2016. This was after an upgrading and expansion exercises funded through a loan facility from the China Exim Bank of U$150million.
The expansion included:
• Construction of a new international terminal building
• Construction of a new Air Traffic Control Tower.
• Construction of a new fire station.
• Installation of 3 new aero bridges.
• New 4km long and 60m wide runway (able to accommodate wide bodied aircraft b747 or equivalent).
• Conversation of old runway into a taxiway.
• Refurbishment of old terminal into a domestic terminal.
• Installation of new ILS system.
Since commissioning. The airport has experienced rapid passenger growth averaging 25% year on year.
Traffic that has commenced service to VFA to date:
• Ethiopian Airline
• Kenya Airways
• fastjet Zimbabwe
• SA Airlink
Other airlines have increased their capacities:
• SAA upscaled from an A320 to A330
• BAComAir from B735 to B738
The Victoria Falls is centrally located in the KAZA region and since commissioning has been lined to the following destinations:
• Addis Ababa
• Cape Town
• Bulawayo (Additional)
• Johannesburg ( LCC fastjet)
The CAAZ has taken up a collaborative approach in the development of air access to Victoria Falls.
Airlines that are under target include :
• Lufthansa: Frankfurt-Luanda- Victoria Falls
• LAM Mozambique: Maputo- Victoria Falls
• Air Tanzania: Kilimanjaro- Victoria Falls
• Middle East big 3 airlines
• Durban Victoria Falls
• West Africa Victoria Falls
The Ministry of Environment, Tourism & Hospitality and the Zimbabwe Tourism Authority have moved in earnest to bid for more events and diversify the Victoria Falls Area to benefit from the MICE business. The Airport definitely a key player in ensuring this is realized.