SAA gets another bailout

Share
Tweet
Post
Send

Funding provided for struggling state-owned enterprises fall far short of assistance requested

South African Airways (SAA) will get R5bn, SA Express R1.2bn and the South African Post Office R2.9bn in new funding from the government, according to the medium-term budget policy statement (MTBPS), tabled in parliament on Wednesday.

But while the Treasury made new allocations to state-owned enterprises (SOEs), finance minister Tito Mboweni had firm words for their dependence on government hand-outs, saying that there needs to be “a reconfiguration” of SOEs.

“This means we should be open-minded about the involvement of equity partners and open to the idea of closing some business activities,” Mboweni said in a briefing to journalists before delivering the statement. He spoke of the need for private-sector partnerships that could help the public-sector provide services more efficiently.

State-owned companies, many of which have been poorly run and looted by corrupt managers, have been a large drain on public finances with much of their debt — R670bn in total — guaranteed by government. About R26bn of guaranteed debt redemptions are expected over the next three years.

Budget documents warn that access to credit by SOEs has declined. The statement warns that “these entities will find it difficult to refinance maturing debt as investors increasingly require guarantees before they will provide funding”. Several face serious liquidity problems and are battling to pay creditors and salaries.

However, few SOEs got their full request from the Treasury and will be hoping for another opportunity when the main budget is tabled in February.

SAA, which has returned repeatedly for bailouts over the past decade, has said that it requires R21.7bn in a combination of debt and equity over the next three years. The R5bn it received in Wednesday’s medium-term budget allocation will do little more than replace the bridging finance it received from commercial banks earlier in 2018. Between now and March it faces a call on R16.4bn of debt unless further funding is raised by February.

While SA Express received R1.2bn, it had hoped for R1.74bn. Denel, which is the most cash-strapped of all the SOEs and has been unable to pay employees their full salaries, received nothing. The budget policy statement says that Denel still has some guarantee space left, but will also contemplate “selling noncore assets”.

patonc@businesslive.co.za

Source:businesslive.co.za

Share
Tweet
Post
Send

Related Posts

Vesna Rakić named CEO of Seychelles Tourism Board

The Office of the President of Seychelles has announced the appointment of Vesna Rakić as the new Chief Executive Officer of the Seychelles Tourism Board, effective 15 May 2026. Ms.

Sponsored

Follow Us

Follow Us on X

#VoyagesAfriq Ms. Rakić brings more than 30 years of experience in the tourism industry, with expertise spanning destination marketing, tourism product development, industry strengthening, & entrepreneurship within Seychelles’ tourism

@visitseychelles

Thank you, Your Excellency, for championing Uganda’s tourism sector and reaffirming our country’s readiness to welcome the world.

As we host the 10th Pearl of Africa Tourism Expo, we invite the world to experience Uganda’s diverse attractions with confidence.

Uganda remains

#VoyagesAfriq | @Mtcasierraleone's One Nation Reggae Festival returns Nov 25–30, 2026

Freetown becomes a living cultural bridge to the Caribbean, blending reggae, heritage sites like Bunce Island, and tourism-driven creative experiences.

Read more:

#VoyagesAfriq | @Botswana has appointed Abigail Lillian Khumoyame as Permanent Secretary for Environment and Tourism

The environmental science expert brings over 12 years of experience in sustainability, policy and natural resource management.

Load More