The biggest night in the Tourism and Hospitality industry came off last Friday, March 22 at the Event Haven of the Accra International Trade Fair Centre where 29 individuals, institutions and businesses were recognised and awarded for their exceptional service and product delivery at the 2018 National Tourism Awards.
There were also six honorary awards that were given to individuals that help develop and grow tourism and hospitality over the years.
1. 5 Star Hotel of the Year – Movenpic Ambassador Hotel
2. 4 Star Hotel of the Year – Tang Palace Hotel
3. 3 Star Hotel of the Year – Holiday Inn Hotel
4. 2 Star Hotel of the Year – Ibis Style, Accra
5. 1 Star Hotel of the Year – Coconut Grove Sakumono
6. Guest House of the Year – Petit Palais Guesthouse
7. Budget Hotel of the Year – Ronna Lodge, Adidome
8. Hostel of the Year – Bedstuy, Osu
9. Serviced Apartment of the Year – Red Mango Apartments chapel Hill
Travel Services Awards
1. Airline of the Year – South African Airways
2. Tour Operator of the Year – Landtours Ghana
3. Travel Agency of the Year – Satguru Travels Ghana Ltd
4. Car Rental Service of the Year – Atlas Rent A Car
5. Visitor Attraction of the Year – Kakum National Park Ghana
6. Tour Guide of the Year - Ellis Nii Laaye Bonney
Food and Beverage and Entertainment (Catering) Awards
1. Restaurant Grade 1 – Azmera Restaurant
2. Restaurant Grade 2 – The Buka Restaurant Ltd
3. Restaurant Grade 3 – Madela Restaurant, Sunyanil
4. Fast Food of the Year – Papaye Fast Foods Ltd.
5. Night Club of the Year – Plot 7 Night Club, Osu
6. Traditional Caterer (Chop Bar) of the Year – Bush Kanteen Shiashie,
7. Drinking Bar of the Year – The Treasures Pub, Agbogba
1. Tourism Writer of the Year – Kofi Akpabli
2. Tourism Oriented Media TV – TV3 Media,
3. Tourism Oriented Media (Radio)- Citi 97.3 FM
4. Tourism Oriented Media (Print)- The Mirror
5. Tourism Oriented Media (Online) – VoyagesAfriq Media
6. Tourism Programme of the Year – Our Heritage by UTV Ghana
1. Edwin Owusu-Mensah – (Fmr Dir. Ministry of Tourism, Arts And Culture, Former Dep. Exec. Dir. Ghana Tourism Authority)
2. Stella W. Appenteng – (CEO – Apstar Tours Ltd)
3. Kwame Ofosu Bamfo (MD – Alisa Hotel)
4. Sajid Ali Kahn – (GM – Tang Palace Hotel,Accra,Ghana)
5. Erieca Bennett – (Head of Mission, Missions Forum: Africa Diaspora Missions Network)
6. Mark Williams – (CEO – Ashanti African Tours Ltd)
Special Mention - Joseph Amartey, Youth Tourism Ambassador, TOSOGHA
The 2018 National Tourism Awards is the 14th in the series which have seen individuals and organisations who distinguish themselves recognised since 1997.
Like previous years, this year’s saw in attendance high profile personalities including the Minister of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration, Shirley Ayorkor Botchway who represented the President, Barbara Oteng Gyasi, Tourism Minister-Designate, Dr. Ziblim Iddi, Deputy Tourism Minister Gloria Akuffo, Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Osabarima Kwesi Atta, Paramount Chief of the Oguaa Traditional Area and a host of personalities from the broad travel and hospitality sector in Ghana.